- Community Committee
- House Music Update
- Hot Dog Help on Wednesday!
- Music Lessons – opportunity to learn Tabla
- Library - New Scientist & Philip Allan Reviews subscriptions
- Upcoming Events – including DIWALI CELEBRATION Sat 15 Oct 5-7pm
- Are you interested in becoming a teacher? Do you know anybody who might be?
- Open Evening – Tue 4 Oct – Tour Guides needed!
House Music Update: Performances will take place this week on Wednesday 28th September – matinée at 2pm, plus evening performance at 7pm; and Thursday 29th September at 7pm. Tickets are still available for the matinée here (£8 adults and £3 students). We will be welcoming audiences of around 1300 people this week and all students will have had the opportunity to watch performances. I thank you for your patience with the difficulty in getting tickets for the evening performances; this is something we will be looking at improving for future events. House events like this are a huge undertaking of organisation for staff just because we want to include as many students as possible, and my thanks to Rachel Thorpe for masterminding House Music – our biggest and most popular event. May the best House win! Tech crew are recording House Music performances and CDs costing £5 are available to order. Please complete the order form (here), which can be handed in with payment either to the school office or at the performances. * Please note that the CDs will be raw recordings, not professionally edited.
Hot Dog Help! The PA is gearing itself up to serve Hot Dogs and snacks to 900 students in between the matinee and evening performances of House Music on Wednesday but is still very short of helping hands. If anyone can spare any time at all between 3pm and 5.15pm on Wednesday 28th, please click on this Doodle Volunteer link (here) and enter your name. The PA will be in touch nearer the time but all you have to do is report to the refectory where you will be assigned a job. Thank you!
These are the arrangements for those students not in House Music – Years 8 & 9 will have lessons; Y10 & 11 private study; all will watch the matinée on Wednesday afternoon until the end of the school day, then they will head home on their buses as normal.
MUSIC LESSONS – TABLA: An opportunity has arisen for a limited number of pupils to take tabla lessons on a Thursday afternoon - more info here. Please complete an application form (here). Applications will be accepted on first come first come served basis. Given the limited number of lessons available please think very carefully about the ability to take on the long-term commitment that learning an instrument requires before taking a space!
- Mon 3 Oct @ 6-7pm in hall: Ireland Rugby Tour Parents’ Information Meeting
- Tues 4 Oct: School finishes early at 2pm (buses will arrive early). This is the date of our annual Open Evening and we would be grateful if parents could make a note and allow the students to either stay on or come back into school to act as tour guides for our visiting families. More below... we rely heavily on students to act as Pate’s ambassadors for the open evening and your support in this is very much appreciated.
- Wed 5 Oct: Parents’ Association AGM 7-8pm in the Art Gallery: please do come along if you can, meet our super PA team of parents – HAVE FUN AND SUPPORT YOUR PA!
- Thur 6 Oct: Y12 Parents’ Social Evening 6.30-8.30pm, entrance via the Art Gallery.
- w/c 10 Oct: afterschool rehearsals begin for the school show – Y7-10 Mondays & Wednesdays; Y11-13 Tuesdays & Thursdays all @ 3.45-6.30pm.
- Tue 11 Oct @ 6.30pm in Refectory: Canada trip Parents’ Information Meeting
- Thurs 13 Oct @ 6.30pm in hall: Y7 Parents’ Social Evening
- Sat 15 Oct 5-7pm in hall: Diwali Celebration: Tickets will go on sale straight after House Music – anyone who went to this event last year will know what a treat it is - this year, as well as the classical Indian dance we have introduced Bollywood! Do join us for some incredible dancing and culture. It is a real feast for the eyes, not to mention the speciality Indian food which will be sold on the evening. Thanks to the Parents’ Association who will be running a bar - all the proceeds will be in aid of Making £nds Meet. My thanks to the Gowri-Shankar family for once again supporting the school by organising this fundraising event. More next week… In the meantime please follow this link to see last year's Diwali photo gallery.
Open Evening Tuesday 4th October from 5pm: Students (not in Year 7) have been asked to sign up to be tour guides for our open evening on if they possibly can – your support in this would be greatly appreciated. School finishes early at 2pm (buses will be early) and students will need to arrive back in school at 5pm. They will be finished between 8 & 8.30pm (although they can leave a bit earlier if they need to). If it helps, students can stay on after school and bring a packed tea to eat in the Refectory while they watch a film. Students should sign up with their Form Tutors – the more the merrier! Thank you for your support.
Congratulations to the Pate’s parents involved in putting on a performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream recently – by all accounts it was very entertaining and a great success and my thanks to Edward Derbyshire for organising this opportunity and to everyone who supported it. Also congratulations to all the sixth form students involved in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, who really did give rollicking performances in Amelia Yate’s superb production. That’s what friends are for, so well done everyone!