- 2pm early finish for the next 2 Tuesdays
- Student volunteers for Sixth Form Open Evening Tues 24th Jan
- Sixth Form Play – ‘Antigone’ Wed-Fri 8-10th Feb @ 7pm. Tickets on sale
- Spring Fair – Sat 11th March
- Bag2School collection after Easter
- CCF Important Dates and Forthcoming Events
- Calendar Update
- Trips Update
- New Bus Routes for Sept 2017 (incl. Evesham/Winchbome) – less chance to express an interest
GCSE mock exams have now finished and Y13 begin their A Level mocks next week. I must congratulate Y11 on the way they have conducted themselves throughout and my thanks to Anne Dickinson and Sarah Graves for seamlessly organising the exam arrangements, as always. Last night we welcomed Y9 students and their parents into school to talk about their GCSE options for next year, to visit departments and talk to teachers. It doesn’t seem long since we welcomed them on their first day at school and it’s lovely to see how they have grown as individuals and arrived at this milestone in their education, relishing their choices and wondering what the future might hold for them. At the other end of the scale our Y13s are beginning to receive their offers of university places and these are such exciting times when the future begins to seem more real to them. There will always be disappointments and difficulties of course, as not everyone will get the choice of university they wish for, and perhaps deserve, but there is everything to play for and the future is so bright for all of them.
Just a reminder that there is an early finish (2pm) for the next two Tuesdays, due to staff training and Sixth Form open evening respectively. Please note that there will be no lunchtime service in the Refectory. The breaktime service will be available as usual.
Once again we will be asking for the help of our sixth formers to host our open evening on Tuesday 24th January, to talk to visiting families and show them around. We will need them between roughly 5.15 - 8.30pm. We reply on parents for support in making this possible - thank you for your support. Our sixth formers are the best ambassadors any school could have and they are key to the success of this event.
Tickets are now on sale for the 6th Form Play ‘Antigone’ – performances on Wed 8th, Thurs 9th & Fri 10th February at 7pm. In this new interpretation by the philosopher Slavoj Zizek, the classic Greek tale by Sophocles is split into three potential endings. Antigone is censured by the ruler of Thebes, Creon, for burying her treacherous brother Polyneices expressly against his decree. In an exploration of the tension between the secular and the divine, ruler and subject, peace and anarchy, revolution and counter-revolution, the Chorus takes us on a narrative journey through Antigone's 'choices'. This is a promenade performance divided into three short parts, so please wear comfortable shoes and be prepared for a short spell outside! There will be two intervals. Tickets cost £6 (adults) and £4 (students) – please click here to buy.
A note for your diary : The Annual Parents’ Association Spring Fair is to be held on Saturday 11th March. After half-term, we will despatch letters home with the children to include further details of events and tickets for a fabulous raffle that we urge you to sell to colleagues, friends and family.
Bag2School: If you are sorting out your cupboards or wardrobes, please note that we shall be doing a Bag2School collection in April (after the Easter holidays) where all unwanted/used clothes can be brought to school. We will earn valuable cash for Making £nds Meet based on the weight of what we collect. Please start collecting now. Thank you in advance for your support.
- 16th-26th January – Y13 Mock exams & study leave
- Tues 17th January – SCHOOL FINISHES EARLY AT 2PM (staff training)
- Mon 23rd January – Y11 vaccinations
- Tues 24th January - SCHOOL FINISHES EARLY AT 2PM (sixth form open evening)
- Mon 30th January – Y9 Parents’ Evening 4-7pm
- Tues 7th February – Y11 Parents’ Evening 4-7pm
- 8-10th February – Sixth Form Play Antigone @ 7pm
- Fri 10th February – school finishes for half term @ 3.40pm
Trips for this week are:
- 18/1/17 - Yr7 (6 students) to The Wilson, Cheltenham – 1.45pm-3.30pm
- 20/1/17 - Yr7 (12 students) Girls Get Set to Churchdown School – 10.00am-2.00pm
Additional Bus Routes 2017 – last chance to express an interest:
Denwell are also close to confirming a route starting at Cribbs Causeway to Pate's via Almondsbury, Alveston, Thornbury, Stone, Cambridge, Whitminster, Hardwicke then M5 direct to Pate’s. All interested parties should contact Denwell direct on the email above.
Finally, a group of parents are also investigating a bus route using an established coach company, starting in Dursley, from September 2017, as per the route below:
1. Proposed Route - Dursley, Uley, Eastington Shell Garage Services and then directly onto M5 to Pate’s. Possibly of interest to students living in GL5, GL10, GL11, GL2, GL13 postcode areas;
2. The objective of this route is to provide an efficient and direct service for those en route, enabling convenient outbound and return timings;
3. There are two well established bus companies interested in providing this route, but it is only viable with a minimum of 16 students;
Dursley Yew Tree 0727 | 1633
Uley Rd 0732 | 1628
Uley Centre 0737 | 1623
Eastington 0750 | 1610
Pate’s 0820 | 1540
Please note that all buses that operate routes into the school are run by independent bus companies and the school has no jurisdiction on route, timings or pricing. Pate’s is not involved in organising or funding any transport to and from school for students but we are happy to advertise potential routes to parents to help with transport arrangements. Contractual agreements are made by parents directly with the bus companies.
Finally, congratulations to Sam James (Y13) who has passed his ATCL Trinity Diploma in classical guitar with a Distinction – an outstanding achievement and one to shout about! Well done Sam.