- National Fairer Funding Consultation – Phase 2
- Mrs Attwood and her band supporting John James Newman – Thurs 9th March 7-9pm!
- PA Spring Fair – Sat 11th March 10:30-12:30
- ‘Pate’s Spirit’ Cake Baking and Decorating Competition – Entries into school on Monday
- Parent Governor Elections
- Forthcoming Events
- ‘New Music’ Concert – Monday 13th March 6-7pm
- Y13 Monologues & Duologues – Fri 17th March 9.30-12.30 in PAB
- Choral Concert ‘Carmina Burana’ @ All Saints Church, Pittville on Wed 22nd March 7.30pm
- ‘Tweedy’s Lost Property’ on tour in April
- Calendar Update
- Year 7 Art at The Wilson Gallery
National Fairer Funding Consultation – Part 2: As you may be aware, Phase 2 of the NFF consultation was launched just before Christmas and will conclude in March. The outcome from Phase 1 is certainly not what we (or anybody else for that matter) was expecting and is not good news, i.e. we actually lose money. I would urge parents and staff to respond and have your say in making school funding fairer for all. It is critical that we lobby hard to try and bring about much needed change and I hope you are able to spend a few minutes to respond to the online consultation. To help with this, here are some thoughts and suggestions. Of course, I am more than happy to discuss this with any parent who would like further clarification on any issue. Here is the link to the consultation document.
This is a very busy week for the Pate’s Parents’ Association. Their goal is to raise £10,000 to buy a new IT server for the school and your support is absolutely invaluable. There are lots of ways you can show your support:
- Join us at the Gig on Thursday 7-9pm - John James Newman, also supporting him we will have Mrs Attwood (our Head of Languages) and her band. The PA will be running a licensed bar – this will be a great night out!
- Come along to the PA Spring Fair on Saturday 10:30-12:30 - excellent stalls, fun and games and refreshments plus everything you might need for Mothering Sunday!
- Please send in donations for the stalls: please, sort through anything you might have in the way of unwanted gifts, delicious eatables, lotions and potions, books, dvds etc.
- Please send in donations of second hand uniform and unwanted sports kits for our shop
- Please send in your raffle ticket money and stubs for Monday
- Are you able to volunteer to set up on Friday or help on Saturday. Put your name on this simple volunteer Doodle (here).
- Finally, a bugle call to all the bakers out there. If you could manage a spot of baking next week that would marvellous!
Commercial IT Services has kick-started fundraising for our new server by pledging to donate £1000 towards the total project cost. The Leckhampton-based business is an expert in technology solutions for the education sector, and a longstanding partner of Pate’s.
‘Pate’s Spirit’ cake baking competition – don’t forget to bake and decorate your cakes this weekend! Pate’s Spirit is the theme - anything goes! Cake entries should be left in the Art Gallery on Monday 6th March. There will be prizes awarded for ‘Best Decorated’, ‘Best Tasting’ and ‘Best Idea’. The cakes will be sold at the Spring Fair next weekend.
LATEST NEWS – MRS ATTWOOD’S BAND WILL BE SUPPORTING JOHN JAMES NEWMAN AT THURSDAY’S GIG! We are really looking forward to Thursday night. Not only do we have singer songwriter John James Newman ('The Voice'), we also have our own Head of Languages Mrs Attwood and her band, who will play between John James Newman sets. It is a fully licensed event open to everyone so do bring your friends! All proceeds of this show are in aid of Making £nds Meet - huge thanks to John James Newman and Sam Attwood for supporting Pate's Grammar School and thanks also to Pate’s parent Barry Chandler of Montpellier Lodge, Cheltenham, for organising this event. Tickets cost £10 (adults) and £5 (students) – please click here to buy or pay on the door on the night. I’ll see you there!
- ‘New Music’ Concert on Monday 13th March 6-7pm, led by our Musician in Residence, Freya Ireland. Tickets are free for this refreshingly different concert, which will include student compositions and new arrangements of pop songs. This is the first of its kind at Pate’s, a fairly low key affair, no need to book, just turn up – sounds fun!
- Y13 Theatre Studies students will be performing their Monologues & Duologues at 9.30-12.30 on Fri 17th March in Pate’s Performing Arts Studio. All are welcome to come along and enjoy - free tickets available here.
- TICKETS NOW ON SALE FOR CHORAL CONCERT - CARMINA BURANA! On Wednesday 22nd March at 7.30pm (at All Saint's Church, Pittville). The school choirs will be performing Carl Orff's very exciting and extremely famous work 'Carmina Burana' (in times past known as 'the music from the Old Spice advert'!). Tickets cost £6 (adults) and £4 (students) and are available to buy online (here). As always, there will be a delicious array of refreshments provided by the Parents’ Association. I know some parents are singing too and we all look forward to seeing lots of you there.
Tweedy – everyone’s favourite clown is once again touring with his one-man show ‘Tweedy’s Lost Property’ – he will be performing at the Everyman Theatre, Cheltenham on Sunday 9th April (2pm & 5pm). You might remember that Tweedy performed this show at Pate’s and raised thousands of pounds for the school last year; we had lots of emails from parents thanking him and saying how much they enjoyed themselves, so here is another opportunity to see him. Please follow the relevant link below to buy your tickets (almost sold out so don’t delay!)
Stroud Subscription Rooms (8th April)
Everyman Theatre (9th April)
Banbury (12th April)
For more information: http://www.makinprojects.co.uk/tours/tweedy
• Thurs 9th March 7-9pm – John James Newman Gig + Mrs Attwood!
• Sat 11th March – Spring Fair 10.30-12.30
• Mon 13th March – New Music Concert 7-8.30pm in school hall (more next week)
• Tues 14th March – Schools photos for Years 7, 11 & 13
• Thurs 16th March – Y7 Pizza & Onesie Night 4-7pm
• Fri 17th March – Y13 Theatre Studies Monologues & Duologues 9.30-12.30 (no tickets)
• Sun 19th March – Rehearsal for Choral Concert 7-9pm
• Tues 21st March – Y7 Parents’ Evening
• Wed 22nd March – Choral Concert @ All Saints Church, Pittville 7.30pm
We currently have a piece of work on show in the The Language of Landscape Exhibition at The Wilson Gallery, Cheltenham, created by a group of Year 7 students: ‘Discourse and Abstraction’. “For us, the Language of Landscape was an abstract concept. How can discourse be represented through art? We interpreted this as a series of mark-making techniques that inform areas, feelings and objects within an aerial landscape. Our Year 7 students used imaginative tools to create their marks – painting with sticks and printing with leaves have a Palaeolithic quality as well as using nature itself to represent the landscape. These individual paintings were created in an abstract expressionistic style reminiscent of Peter Lanyon, a post-war artist and glider. The aerial perspectives describe geographical locations in and around Cheltenham, including students’ homes and the school itself. Let the colourful mood and complex layers of paint, print and illustration tell you our story.”
Congratulations to our students who performed to a sold out audience in the Asian celebration at the Everyman on Tuesday, at the launch of their new show ‘Anita and Me’. The Everyman have written to tell me the huge success of their performance and how immaculately behaved and extremely professional the students were throughout – I never doubted they would be! Well done and congratulations to Aparna & Lakshmi Biju, Anu Mathew, Rohan & Roshni Palat, Rudran Ratnanadan and Sandra Vinod. Special thanks to Thrinethra Gowri-Shankar (Y10) who organised the event. Look out for Pate’s own Diwali Celebration, in its third year, on 14th October.