- Cricket Week w/c 12th June – please join us and enjoy some cricket
- Enigma machine comes to Pate’s
- Staff Vacancy – Science Technician
- Winter Sports Photos now available to buy
- Calendar & Trips update
- PQA Performing Arts Summer Schools @ Pate’s
GCSE and A Level exams are well underway now and there is a quiet determination about the school. My thanks to Mrs Dickinson and Mrs Graves in the exams office, who are doing a brilliant job of making sure everyone is happy and that all goes according to plan. Half term will be a good break for everyone and time to recharge the batteries. I am looking forward to Pate’s Cricket Week w/c 12th June – all are welcome to join us on the field watch some cricket – Monday 12th Headmaster’s XI vs Students from 1pm and on Thurs 15th Pate’s vs MCC.
Enigma machine comes to Pate's: Y7 & Y10 were treated to a lecture by Dr Mark Baldwin yesterday. Dr Baldwin is one of the countries most experienced speakers on WWII intelligence with a particular expertise in code breaking and the enigma machine. He spoke on the subject of cyphering from the early Caesar cypher through to coding during World War II, and bought in his own Enigma machine and demonstrated how it worked. The Enigma machines were used to encrypt data during World War II. Combining three rotors from a set of five, the rotor settings with 26 positions, and the plugboard with ten pairs of letters connected there were an amazing 3 x 10^114 (3 followed be 114 zeros!) different settings, given that there are 4 x 10^80 atoms in the observable universe it is a wonder that it was ever deciphered!
Dr Baldwin was hugely generous with his time, after speaking to both Year 7 & 10 he stayed for an hour after school to talk to the many staff members that had sat in on the presentation. Some of the Y13 computer studies group also took advantage of his knowledge on encoding. Dr Baldwin is speaking at the Pittville Pump Room on 21st July, more information can be found here. A special thank you to Dr Tomasetto and Mr Swan for organising the event and to Dr Baldwin for giving his time and expertise on the Enigma machine.
Winter Sports Photos: Our winter sports photos look great and are available for purchase from the Academy Portraits website (here) using the access code H48D8X8R. They will also be displayed in our sports photo boards in the main hall corridor. We are having all our summer sports teams photographed on Tuesday 27th June - details to follow after half term.
- Fri 26th May – SCHOOL FINISHES FOR HALF TERM
- Mon 5th June – School Restarts
- Mon 12th June – Pate’s Cricket Week - Headmaster vs students from 1pm – all welcome
- Thurs 15th June from 11am – Pate’s vs MCC cricket match – all welcome
- w/c 19th June – internal exams for Y7, 8 & 9 and mock exams for Y12
- 21-23 June – 8B & 8G Camp
- 23-25 June – 8R & 8Y Camp
Trips for w/c 5th June:
- 9th June – Yr8 Science Fair – Cheltenham Town Hall
- 9-12th June – Yr7 Normandy Trip (50 Students)
The Pauline Quirke Academy, which operates from Pate’s, has a choice of fabulous summer schools (31st July – 4th August - 10am til 4pm) now available for booking:
- Practical Film-making Masterclass with Film Director Omid Nooshin Musical Theatre
- Acting Masterclass with Helena Devereux
- Musical Theatre Masterclass led by professional choreographer and singer Leanne Verey
- Junior Music Theatre Summer School (ages 8 and under) led by Emily-Rose Cluderay
- Courses cost £220 (payable by instalments) There is also a discount for friends or siblings attending together - reducing the price to £185.
I would like to wish Pate’s families a happy half term.