- Athletics Update
- UK Team Maths Challenge
- Joining CCF 2017-18
- BBC Micro:Bit computing / coding competition
- Upcoming Events
- Sports Celebration Evening – Tues 4 July @ 7pm in the hall
- Junior Concert – Wed 5 July @ 7pm in the hall
- Summer Art Exhibition Private View – Thurs 6 July 4.30-7pm in Gallery
- Family School Disco – Mon 10 July 7-9.30pm in the hall
- Cory Band Concert – Sun 8 October 3-5.30pm in the hall
- Calendar & Trips Update
- School Transport Update
- Piano & Music Recital raises over £1,000 for charity
Exams are officially over for another year and we are into the final three weeks of summer activities, including massed orchestra and choir workshops, climbing wall, cookery, bushcraft, archery, orienteering and a Philosothon, as well as exciting trips and activities being organised in departments around school. House Drama rehearsals begin this week, in preparation for three performances over the last week of term. The theme this year is Myths and Legends from Around the World and posters are beginning to go up around school advertising the various productions. This is a lovely time of year in school, when the students have been able to choose what they would like to do from an array of exciting activities, and my thanks to Rachel Thorpe and Rob Swan for their hard work in making it possible to produce individual timetables for all students. Quite a feat!
Athletics Update: Not only has it been a record year for athletics team success, there is also unprecedented success for individuals. Six Pate’s athletes have been chosen to represent Gloucestershire at the English Schools National Athletics Championships. There are only 32 athletes from all ages and all events, boys and girls. This is the most athletes from one school in the County team EVER and we are rightly very proud of our students. They travel with our best wishes and full support:
- Oliver Keitley (Y9) Junior Boys Triple jump
- Rory Cawkwell (Y12) Senior Boys 200m
- Will Crisp (Y12) Senior Boys 800
- Jamie Worman (Y12) Senior Boys Long Jump and 4x100m relay
- Holly Bankes (Y12) Senior Girls 400m
- Melissa Bird (Y13) Senior Girls Discus
UK Team Maths Challenge: A team of four pupils, Katy Daly (8G), Sophie O’Riordan (8Y), Rish Fulmali (9R) and Rushil Raina (9R) competed against teams from across the UK in this year’s UK Team Maths Challenge trophy on Monday 19th June at the Royal Horticultural Halls in London. Over 1750 schools entered the competition and Pate’s were crowned the winners in the regional finals held at Wycliffe College in April. As winners they won the opportunity to compete as one of the 88 teams to have qualified to take part in the national final. The competition at the final was very strong but Pate’s finished in the top half of the schools in the country, a great achievement! These pupils were chosen following a selection process which was open to all year 8 and 9 pupils. They had then been attending regular practise sessions in their lunch times to prepare and had to work together on a number of different mathematical rounds. Thanks to Sophie Dodds in the Maths Department, who ran all the training sessions and accompanied the students to London for the national finals on one of the hottest days of the year!
JOINING CCF 2017-2018: The CCF website now has details of joining CCF for the academic year 2017-2018 (here). Current Y8 Students: Applications are accepted for those who are entering Y9 in September 2017 (application form below). New joiners to 6th Form: In addition, those who attend 6th form can now also join the CCF as late joiners and will need to complete the same form (below). Credit is given for previous cadet experience and rank from other cadet units when you join Pate’s CCF. Direct link to application form here.
BBC Micro:Bit @Pate’s: I pleased to announce that all of the current Year 7 students have been given their own BBC Micro:Bit. It is theirs to keep forever! This is a powerful minicomputer that has been provided by the BBC, in conjunction with other sponsor companies. The aim is to inspire students to get involved in computing, specifically coding! The students have just completed a unit in their computing lessons that gave them an introduction into how to program the Micro:Bit and they now have the summer holidays to prepare for next term, when there will be a competition running (details will be announced at the beginning of the Autumn Term). There are excellent resources to inspire students on the Micro:Bit website (here), including Coding with Dr Who and Robot Wars!
School Sport Celebration Evening – Years 7-10 - Tuesday 4th July 7-9.30pm in the main hall: We would like to invite all pupils and parents with any connection to sport at Pate’s in Years 7 to 10 to our “Sports Celebration Evening”. The event will begin at 7pm in the main hall at Pate’s on Tuesday 4th July and finish by about 9.30pm. The PA will be serving drinks and snacks during the evening. The captains and players of our teams will present a review of their season, with players’ player of the year presentations and any trophies celebrated. Our special guest will be former student Holly Hill, who is a GB U23 rower as well as being a member of the winning Cambridge Varsity boat race this year. Please follow this link to book your free places for this event. Here’s looking forward to a sporty evening, from Mr Dandy and the PE Department.
Junior Concert – Wednesday 5th July 7pm in the hall: Tickets are now available for this, the final concert of the school year. Do join us to celebrate the talent and dedication of our young musicians and choirs - it is such a pleasure to see how they have developed over the year. It is always a warm relaxed evening and there will be a bar provided by the Parents’ Association – a lovely way to celebrate the end of another musical year at Pate’s. Tickets cost £6 (adults) and £4 (students) and are available from Ticketsource (here).
Pate’s Art Department invites you to join them at their Summer Exhibition Private View in the Gallery on Thursday 6th July between 4.30 & 7pm. Do pop in for drinks and nibbles and enjoy the breath-taking artwork produced by our sixth formers this year.
Parents let your hair down at the end of term! With so many opportunities for the students to celebrate the end of another school year, the PA thought it would be a great idea for parents to be able to celebrate the end of another school year too, and I would like to invite you to join me at their 80s & 90s school disco on Monday 10 July 7-9.30pm in the hall. Refreshments will be on sale in the gallery and tickets cost £5 on the door. Bring the children along – it’s a family disco and they won’t be embarrassed at all.
We are privileged to have the world-famous Cory Band performing at Pate’s on Sunday 8 October 3-5.30pm. Please following this link for full details. Tickets cost £10 – or £15 to sit on the balcony – and are available to buy on our website (here). Cory Band concerts are incredible – so don’t miss out, and please do spread the word (this event is open to the general public).
- w/c 3 July – Activities Fortnight – personalised student timetables
- Mon 3 July - Sports Tour - Parents Information Evening @ 6pm (Gallery)
- Tue 4 July – Sports Celebration Evening @ 7pm (hall)
- Wed 5 July – Junior Concert @ 7pm (hall)
- Wed 5 July – Prague Music Tour - Parents Information Evening @ 6pm (hall, immediately before concert)
- Thur 6 July – Summer Art Exhibition Private View 4.30-7pm (Gallery)
- Mon 10 July – 80s & 90s School Disco 7-9.30pm (hall) Family event
- Tues 18 July – House Drama Performance @ 7pm (tickets available soon)
- Wed 19 July – House Drama Matinée Performance @ 2pm
- Wed 19 July – House Drama Performance & Adjudication @ 7pm
- Thurs 20 July – Summer Charity Day Entertainments from 1pm
- Fri 21 July – School finishes for summer at 12:00 – buses will arrive early
Trips info for this week:
- 4/7 - Yr12 Maths Conference Bath University (15 students)
- 4/7 - Rymans National Enterprise Challenge Final - (6 Yr9 students)
- 5/7 – English Trip – Romeo & Juliet – The Everyman – 19.45
- 5/7 – Yr9 Wimbledon Trip (10 Girls) – All Day
- 7/7 – Yr12 Girls Get Set Finals Day at GE – All Day
- 7/7 – Yr12 Cambridge University Trip (37 students)
- 7/7-9/7– Yr 12 Biology Nettlecombe Trip
- Girls South Africa Tour – Parents Information Evening - 3/7 – 6pm
- Prague Music Tour – Parents Information Evening - 5/7 – 6pm
Finally, thanks to Edward Derbyshire and all those who attended his recent Piano and Poetry Concert, which raised over £1,000. This money will be divided between Making £nds Meet and Arthritis Research.