- Pate’s sixth form Development & Alumni Committee
- ‘Pate’s Spirit’ Cake Baking Competition - entries Mon 6th March
- PA Spring Fair – Sat 11th March 10.30-12.30
- John James Newman Fundraising Gig – Thurs 9th March 7-9pm
- Drama performances:
- Y12 performance of ‘Status Update’ on 2nd & 3rd March 7.30-8.30pm in PAB
- Y13 Monologues & Duologues – Fri 17th March 9.30-12.30 in PAB
- Choral Concert ‘Carmina Burana’ @ All Saints Church, Pittville on Wed 22nd March 7.30pm
- Science Fair Judge Needed
- Calendar Update
- Trips Update
Assembly this morning was led by our very proactive sixth form Development and Alumni Committee, who launched their ‘Pate’s Spirit’ cake baking competition – students can bake and decorate their cakes on a Pate’s theme - anything goes! Cake entries should be left in the Art Gallery on Monday 6th March – I am looking forward to seeing what the students come up with and will have the difficult job of judging the winners. There will be prizes for ‘Best Decorated’, ‘Best Tasting’ and ‘Best Idea’.
The committee updated us on latest news about the Making £nds Meet campaign and thanked staff and students for their support in helping to raise £25,565 in January, which has provided us with some classroom refurbishment, plus new furniture and IT equipment / licenses. Over the coming weeks the committee will be giving their full support to the Parents’ Association Spring Fair and John James Newman gig (see below).
This week is Pate’s Reading Week 2017 and there will be lots of reading-related activities and events. One of our highlights is a visit from top author Chris Bradford who will be presenting his ‘Bodyguard Show’ to Y7 & Y8 on Friday 3rd March. Full details about Reading Week 2017 can be found here.
The Annual Parents’ Association Spring Fair is two weeks away on Saturday 11th March from 10:30 to 12:30. Raffle tickets have already been sent home, (Year 12s will get theirs next week on return from work experience) and the lavish prizes on offer continues to expand at an impressive rate! Now including: a 30-minute helicopter flying lesson with Heli Air, tickets to the Warwickshire Cup Final at Cirencester Polo Club, a family ticket to Giffords Circus, Afternoon Tea for Two at Ellenborough Park Hotel, tickets to Cheltenham Town football club, a hamper from Regency Hampers, a family ticket to the Royal Three Counties Show, a £30 voucher for Bar and Wok, passes to Sandford Park Lido, tickets to Sudeley Castle, a £50 voucher for boutique Frock It, tickets to Cheltenham Race Course and afternoon tea at Cowley Manor. Our raffle has the staggering potentiality to raise up to £15,000 for the school, so please, use your vision, employ slick salesmanship, and let’s sell these tickets!
BRING YOUR FRIENDS FOR A GREAT NIGHT OUT WITH JOHN JAMES NEWMAN GIG AT PATE’S ON THURSDAY 9TH MARCH @ 7-9PM. All proceeds of this show are in aid of Making £nds Meet - huge thanks to John James Newman for supporting Pate's Grammar School and thanks also to Pate’s parent Barry Chandler of Montpellier Lodge, Cheltenham, for organising this event. There will be a bar and refreshments – fully licensed and open to anyone outside school. Tickets cost £10 (adults) and £5 (students) – please click here to buy
Singer/songwriter John James Newman has written songs for Joe Cocker, Kylie, Chesney Hawkes, Megan Henwood (BBC Folk Award winner) and X-Factor finalists in Europe. His own works include the solo album 'Little Whispers' and 'The Velvet Hearts'. John has opened for the likes of Natasha Bedingfield, The Sugababes, Elkie Brooks, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Jools Holland and Alabama 3 and notably supported Bon Jovi at the O2 Arena in London with his band 'The Velvet Hearts'. John appeared on the first ever BBC ‘The Voice UK’ after being talent scouted for the show. Click here to see his blind audition and here to see his Round 2 battle on ‘The Voice’.
Drama at Pate’s: ‘Status Update’ in association with National Theatre Connections on Thursday 2rd and Friday 3rd (7.30-8.30pm). This term our Year 12 Theatre Studies students have been working on a new piece called ‘Status Update’ to perform as part of the “National Theatre Connections Festival” at the Bristol Old Vic. This week they will be putting on ‘home’ performances in the Performing Arts Studio on Thursday and Friday and would love for you join them. The performances will begin at 7:30pm and will last no longer than an hour. Refreshments will be available, FREE tickets are available now on ticket source (here).
Y13 Theatre Studies students will be performing their Monologues & Duologues at 9.30-12.30 on Fri 17th March in Pate’s Performing Arts Studio. All are welcome to come along and enjoy.
TICKETS NOW ON SALE FOR CHORAL CONCERT - CARMINA BURANA! On Wednesday 22nd March at 7.30pm (at All Saint's Church, Pittville). The school choirs will be performing Carl Orff's very exciting and extremely famous work 'Carmina Burana' (in times past known as 'the music from the Old Spice advert'!). Tickets cost £6 (adults) and £4 (students) and are available to buy online (here). As always, there will be a delicious array of refreshments provided by the Parents’ Association. I know some parents are singing too and we all look forward to seeing lots of you there.
- Tues 28th February – Instrumental Concert @ 7pm
- Wed 1st March 6-7.30pm – Y12 University talk with Dr Andrew Spence (in Hall)
- Thurs 2nd March 4-7pm – Y10 Parents’ Evening
- Thurs 2nd March 6pm – Parents’ Info. Meeting re Annecy Exchange @ 6pm (E204)
- Fri 3rd March 4.30pm – CCF Passing Out Parade for new recruits
- Thurs 9th March 7-9pm – John James Newman Gig
- Sat 11th March – Spring Fair 10.30-12.30
- Mon 13th March – New Music Concert 7-8.30pm in school hall (more next week)
- Tues 14th March – Schools photos for Years 7, 11 & 13
- Thurs 16th March – Y7 Pizza & Onesie Night 4-7pm
- Fri 17th March – Y13 Theatre Studies Monologues & Duologues 9.30-12.30 (no tickets)
- Sun 19th March – Rehearsal for Choral Concert 7-9pm
- Tues 21st March – Y7 Parents’ Evening
- Wed 22nd March – Choral Concert @ All Saints Church, Pittville 7.30pm
Trips this week:
- 3rd March GCSE RS trip to Oxford
- 3-5 March Y8 PGL Netball Tour
Our Year 12s have been out on work experience this week, at home and abroad, and I am looking forward to hearing how they got on. I would like to wish the best of luck to our students who are performing their Asian Celebration at the Everyman this week to a sold out audience. I am very proud of them for representing Pate’s so professionally in the community. Just a reminder about the Instrumental Concert on Tuesday – tickets cost £6 (adults) and £4 (students) and can be bought online or on the door.